WWOOF!


There are many avenues by which people can get involved with organic farming.  My first hands-on experience with organic farming, was working with the organization WWOOF in New Zealand.  This experience really solidified my interest in sustainable agriculture, and is a great option for folks interested in having experience in various organic systems. 

WWOOF is an organization that stands for Willing Workers on Organic Farms.  It is a worldwide organization that partners volunteers with hosts for a work/homestay exchange.  Not only is it a great opportunity for organic farming experience, but it is also an exciting and economically sensible way of travelling. 

In New Zealand, there were a variety of properties for me to choose from, including farms, market gardens, communities, and ventures in self-sufficiency in which organic growing plays some part. I was fortunate to be able to visit and work on several different organic systems, including a vineyard, dairy farm, self-sufficient commune, and a few family farms. Basically, I exchanged my work for housing and food. In turn, I got to learn the different approaches and philosophies of different people, see various areas of the country, and get my hands dirty. I’ve put together a slideshow for you and would like to share some photos from my experiences with WWOOF NZ.


WWOOF provides access to learning and experiencing organic farming in different cultures and communities.  It showed me alternative options for food production and lifestyles that is exciting and enlightening.  If you are interested in the organization, or have any questions, feel free to contact me. 

Cheers,

Molly Gaeckle
Gaeck002@umn.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment